Friday, January 6, 2012

Roasted Vegetables and Chickpeas

For supper last night, I fixed Roasted Vegetables and Chickpeas,
a recipe I got from Better Homes & Gardens (Nov 2011).

The hardest part was cutting up the raw sweet potatoes.

Every cut I made, I was afraid I was going to cut my hand.
Next time I have to cut up raw sweet potatoes, I am going
to buy skinny ones, not big chunky ones.

See those potato peelings in the background?
They are going in my compost bin.

Besides the sweet potatoes, the recipe called
for carrots, a red onion, and chickpeas.

The recipe did call for white potatoes, but
we all know sweet potatoes are more nutritious,
so I only used them.


Arrange the cut up peeled sweet potatoes in a
greased 9x13 pan.


Next add the carrots--orange on orange!



In goes a cut up red onion!
Next I mixed a little olive oil, garlic, salt & pepper
and drizzled it over the vegetables.


An hour later (400 degrees, uncovered, stirring twice)
the vegetables are cooked and ready to enjoy.



Don't forget that pan of hot cornbread!



4 comments:

  1. Does this replace sweet potato night?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did great on this entry. It all looks so good, and it would be so nutrious. It is hard to peel a sweet potato. I'm glad you didn't hurt yourself. I remember about forty years ago cutting up a pumpkin so I could cook it, and I did cut my hand. I like how you are composting your sweet potato peelings. When it started going bad, I "composted" (buried) our entire Halloween jack o'lantern in the flower bed. I composted Jason's old Halloween pumpkin last year in a bare spot in his back yard,and it sprouted pumpkin plants. But we didn't have rain, and they withered away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that looks fantastic. I might have to try that. Of course, Kyle won't eat anything if he knows it's vegetarian. Maybe I can add some bacon to it or something...

    :)
    Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. KK, no this was vegetable night. Sweet potato night still lives on. Too bad more pumpkins didn't grow from Jason's jack-o-lantern, but you added nutrients to the soil.

    Emily, Better Homes & Garden listed this as a side dish, so you could do the same and serve it with a slice of ham or some other meat. Bacon sounds good, too.

    ReplyDelete